Sunday, August 10, 2008

WEEPISODES


“I think this President has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen.”
--John Edwards on Clinton.

Ho hum. Moral indignation never sounds good, and always come backs to bite off your balls. Of course, Edwards isn't to blame, but the culture that equates "success" with "rock star" --

"I grew up as a small-town boy in North Carolina, came from nothing, worked very hard, dreamed that I could do something helpful for other people with my life, became a lawyer, through a lot of work and success I got some acclaim as a lawyer. People were telling me you're such a great person, such a great lawyer. There's no telling what you'll do.

"Then I went from being a young senator to being considered for vice president, running for president ... becoming a national public figure, all of which fed a self-focus, an egotism, a narcissism that leads you to believe you can do whatever you want, you're invincible and there will be no consequences. And nothing could be further from the truth."


"There will be no consequences" -- ie, you'll get away with it. But let's not moralize, okay? Let's just marvel at the ability of the human mind-- how an otherwise sane person running for president could have an affair while his wife is battling cancer, and still think he could get away with it? Again, not moralizing, but I probably won't be channeling a John Edwards vibe when I'm making important life-altering/life-wrecking decisions in my own life.

No comments: