Sunday, June 22, 2008

EXCLUSIVE PORTISHEAD BONUS TRACK

Anyone catch the new Portishead bonus track? It's called "Left," and here's a sample of the lyrics:

I'm so depressed--
Clinically diagnosed, unhappiness
I can't live with myself--
--or you.
There's nothing left to do.

The track is available free when you purchase the album through lexapro.com

I like the new album, but I'm wondering if it will share the fate of the first two-- new, fun, different sounding, and slightly grating, a slightness that will become, in time, overwhelming. There something about the sound, especially of the first album, that sounds so smooth and overproduced and dated, as though they were aping an Esquivel album. I mostly play "shuffle" on my ipod (note: this is the exclusive practice of the author alone, and not the official standpoint of Peephole), and whenever one of those early Portishead songs was played, it just sounded-- wrong. Like, oh, that was then, this is now! We're so over that!

Hopefully, this new Album, simply called "3," will provide enough good listening before it's relegated to "skip." And don't forget to look for that bonus track!

Photo by Chris Buck